Turn Your Dishwasher into an Energy-Saving Machine Posted By Advanced Plumbing Drains & Heating
When you think of the least efficient appliances in your home, you probably think of your fridge or HVAC system. You may even think of your microwave, but you probably don’t think about your dishwasher.
However, like many of the appliances and features in your home, your dishwasher uses a lot of energy. If you don’t use it correctly, it wastes water and electricity with wild abandon, making it one of the least environmentally-friendly things you own. But it doesn’t have to stay that way!
Whip That Dishwasher into Shape!
If you follow these six tips, you can actually make using your dishwasher more energy efficient than washing your dishes by hand:
- Wait for a full load. This makes the most of the energy that you use, so never run your dishwasher when it’s only partially full. You can save up to 400 gallons of water a month if you only run full loads.
- Never pre-rinse. Modern dishwashers can take care of those extra food particles without the pre-rinse. Save on water and power by skipping it.
- Lower the water temperature. Your dishwasher uses 80% of its energy to heat the water, and that’s after it’s already been through your water heater. Turn down the thermostat in your water heater to about 49 degrees Celsius to save on energy.
- Skip the drying cycle. It’s okay to let your dishes air dry. It’ll save a lot of energy if you do. Just open the dishwasher after the washing cycle and let them dry overnight.
- Buy only natural dishwashing detergent. If you use natural, biodegradable detergents with no petroleum or phosphates, the water from your dishwasher will be safer for the environment.
- Replace your dishwasher with a newer, more efficient one. If all else fails, you can always buy a new dishwasher. Newer models are far more efficient than older ones, so if it’s been a decade or more since you replaced yours, you should shop for a new one. You should only buy dishwashers with ENERGY STAR ratings.
Make Your Home Even More Energy Efficient!
If you’d like to save the planet, your dishwasher is only the beginning. Remember your fridge and your HVAC system? There are ENERGY STAR-rated upgrades for those too, and even a simple tune-up can make them more environmentally-friendly. To learn more about other ways to make your home more efficient, call Advanced Plumbing. We’d be happy to answer your questions.